Thursday 23 May 2013

Beautiful Little Fools


Went and saw The Great Gatsby last night. Awesome film. Even awesomer clothes. 

Daisy Buchanan's gold-digger-esque nature doesn't exactly sit well with me, but you can understand how a girl could be sucked in by all the sparkly diamonds, pearls and tassles. In true Baz style, the eye candy on offer during the party scenes was turned up to 11, with all the flapper girls and champagne socialites rocking some very shiny and glamourous apparel, making me feel kind of gutted that we don't have glitsy flapper girl performers any more, which isn't the most feminist line of thought, so I take it back. 
I was taking mental snapshots almost continually throughout the film, click-click-clicking any time I spotted some inspiration for my grad ball outfit (So far I have a sparkly nudey/pinky full length dress from Untold, and some gawjus nude Guess heels). I think I’ve found a muse in Daisy as her penchant for pinky, pasteley colours has presented me with rakes of ideas for colour palleting and accessories for my gown (and it does qualify for the status of ‘gown’). If Gatsby’s parties have taught me anything, it’s that an occasion like a grad ball should be seized as an opportunity to glam the funk out. I’m thinking diamonds (genuinely considered buying, wearing, and returning some Swarovski merch, but then reasoned that I’m already too much in debt to risk the bill in the very likely case that the plan goes awry) or some shiny plastic or glass that replicates diamonds to pull of a budget debutant look. Pearls are pretty big on the Gatsby scene, but think I'll keep it minimal and go for a mother of pearl ring. I always prefer piling on the pearls over a plain black T for a sort of sophisticated 'street' look.

Anyone planning on going to see it, prepare to suddenly take note of the possibilities of men's fashion as the idea of 'the gentleman' is reinstated through shiny tuxedos and silk shirts. Gatsby's colour pallet is perfection. How dare Tom rip on him for wearing a pink suit! He should applaud him for pulling off pink and brown. Also, keep an eye out for the beautiful wide-legged trousers Jordan Baker's wearing when you first meet her. Classy wee number.
This lovely lady I bumped into at Glasgow's West End festival is showcasing something similar. J'adore the tough, studded basque top layered over the floaty, ladylike jumpsuit. Plus headscarves are having a moment right now too, so big thumbs up!



I'm going to go play about with some Gatsby inspired looks. I'll throw them on here for y'all to take a look at innabit 
xo

                

No comments:

Post a Comment